Paul Novitski wrote:
What about using ULs in this case? (That's how I originally marked up my example; should have left it like that!) How would a screen-reader read this:

        <ul>
                <li>1 - Aardvark</li>
                <li>2 - Banshee</li>
                <li>3 - Cicada</li>
        </ul>

I don't have access to jaws or the like, but what about semantics? Is it an unordered list made to look like an ordered list, or an ordered list using the wrong element?

Do I hear definition list... Where each section heading (numbers and all) is the "defined term". Maybe. Put a span inside the dt (for the number) and give it a width? And put a margin on the dd equal to that span?

Or what about simple normal every-day headings? We can go up to 6 levels deep with them...

I guess it all depends on the application.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/