From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Philippe
Wittenbergh
Sent: 03 August 2005 14:34
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Does anyone still design for 640x480?

On 3 Aug 2005, at 8:58 pm, Michael Kear wrote:

> For example, I usually design pages that work well in screens 800x600
> or larger but in smaller screens, everything will be there but if
> lines have wrapped horribly or tabs and boxes have dropped down to a
> new line, I'm not going to worry.
>

> Is that what you are all doing nowdays?   What sizes are you designing
> for?

Besides desktop/laptop computers with ever wider screen resolution (but that
doesn't mean people will have their browser window maximalised), there are
other players on the market.

Sony last week released a patch/firmware upgrade for their PSP Game console.
Guess what ? It includes a browser [1].
Max width of the screen is 480px. Depending on your target audience, you might
want to think about it.

Or people have their MacMini connected to a TV, and then sit away from it, like
you would be watching TV, find your text pretty small, and zoom up a few
notches.

[1] browser is the Japanese developed Netfront
<http://www.access.co.jp/english/products/nf.html>

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh