Firstly, not to excuse the format of my previous email, but I'm stuck with the Outlook Web Access mail client. Try as I might to get it to send text emails, this is as close as it gets. I apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused. I have to say it was disheartening to see my request trashed before it was read, so I come to you all again humbled somewhat.

Thanks to Russ, Martin and David for their responses.

I have changed tact with my problem with the suggestions I received. I'm now trying an absolute layout and I think I'm closer, but IE is still nabbing me with it's insistence that the Flash application must be set to 100% of the viewport.

Viewing this URL in Firefox https://demo.hpa.com.au/OLM/test/apps/ies/need_help3.htm
gives me the result I need: 100px of space top and bottom of the "viewer app", 150px of space to the left of it. The viewer is snug up against the right of the window. Finally if the browser is resized, the spacing remains and the viewer app expands/contracts it's dimensions to fill the available area. This isn't the final layout intended, but is enough to figure the logic I require (I think!)

IE maintains the spacing on the top, left and bottom of the app and keeps it snug to the right, but it calculates the dimension of the viewer to equal 100% of the viewport height.

I hope it is not taboo, here is the relevant CSS and HTML:

<!--
body, html {
 height: 100%;
 width: 100%;
 margin: 0px;
 padding: 0px;
 background-color:#999999;
}
#viewer{
 position:absolute;
 top: 100px;
 bottom: 100px;
 left: 150px;
 right: 0px;
 background-color:#339900;
}
#imageviewer{
 height: 100%;
 width: 100%;
}
-->
</head>
      <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="" id="imageviewer">
        <param name="movie" value="../../flashviewer/ImageViewer.swf?imageurl=https://demo.hpa.com.au/OLM/test/testxml/test1.xml" />
        <param name="quality" value="best" />
        <param name="menu" value="false" />
      </object>