On the whole, I'm very much in the 'user decide' camp. However, there
is some argument for opening PDFs and other
'not-normally-browser-native' media types in new windows (citing the
confusing ways in which plug ins behave).

Personally, I like everything to download and be opened by a native
application (especially PDFs!), but for coping with the default
behaviour of opening the in-browser plug-in, I /might/ give
consideration to new windows.

The best option I can think of a 1am is to clearly offer a second
'open in new window' link, probably inserted onload using script. That
way, the user can choose how to open it and if they pick the 'open'
link that sits next to an 'open in new window' link, they are given
some hint that the document will open in the SAME window, and thus get
around some of the back button/close button confusion mentioned above.

The other 'new window' situation I can think of relates to some 'web
applications'. For example, on the site I maintain, we have a Reseller
Locator that was designed with minimal header and footer to reduce
clutter. Although a legacy app (so it might not be designed this way
if we did it again) in this case it aids the usability of the
application to have the reduced interface.

However, this then removes a lot site navigation, so it makes more
sense to open it in a new window. The critical, REALLY REALLY
important thing I draw attention to when you have a system that (for
whatever reason) is better suited to a new window: *make it as obvious
as you can*.

  1) Add the new window behaviour to the link using script *after*
load. Have it open in the same, default window using a standard
hyperlink without script, so as not to lock out customised browser
configurations or scriptless fringe browsers.
  2) Define a default size for the app! Obviously allow it to be
resizeable, but if a new browser window appears that has exactly the
same dimensions as the 'primary' window it was spawned from, the user
is quite unlikely to twig that this is a different window at all.
They'll be confused when they can't click 'back' to return to the
original page.
If, however, you give the child window a different (ideally smaller)
size, then it will stand out from the main browser and the user won't
be as confused when wanting to return to the first page.

Still bad practice, I think, but those two rules are absolutely
non-negotiable for me when making the best of an imperfect situation!

Ben
http://ben-ward.co.uk