----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:36 PM

> The web is a visual medium and we should be able to
> design pages to look how we want, with the condition of making sure they are
> readable and suitable for those accessing them.

I disagree.  The web is an information medium.  The most common way to access that information is through a graphical "web browser".  A visual medium used to "browse" the information made available on the web (information medium).

Good description, I concede the point.

I rarely use a traditional, graphical web browser anymore.  I have my computer read my RSS feeds and email aloud to me while I work and play games.  I test pages I make in graphical browsers, and post flamebait as anonymous coward on Slashdot.  That's about it.

I suggest you are in the minority in your use of the web. Most people will use web browsers.

> For those of you who use a background image, how do you get round the
> problem of the columns changing size? I hope you are not using a fixed width
> layout (as many CSS column layouts do)! ;-)

*clicks my heels together three times and says "Column support in CSS3? Column support in CSS3?"*

Lol. In which case the use of tables is perhaps still justified?

> Final point I want to know is, in what way does a table (a simple 1 row 2
> column table) actually cause any of the above problems you mention? How does
> it hinder someone from viewing it on a different device for example? How is
> it harder to update? I am not talking about multiple nested tables.

Accessibility isn't just for blind people.  It's also for the most disabled users of all: computers.  Ever try to teach an HTML parsing script how to tell the difference between a table of data and a layout table?  If people would just use semantic markup, it'd be as simple as "It's in a table element?  Must be tabular data.  It's in a p element?  Must be a paragraph."

The point is however, that when you create columns, with equal length, you are in essence creating a table grid type layout for your information. Therefore the use of tables with their columns makes sense, even appropriate?

When you create columns using CSS, you are creating a table-like look, are you not? Is CSS3 going to reinvent the wheel?

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.