On Sep 5, 2005, at 11:54 PM, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

I then thought I should use <input type="image">, but realised that this doesn't work in all browsers. IE, for example, has got the nasty habbit of submitting name.x=0&name.y=0 when these kind of buttons are clicked, which can make it really difficult if you have got multiple buttons in one form
and you wish to detect which of them was clicked.

The .x and .y values are according to spec; any browser that doesn't do this is broken. I suspect this is your best bet. Is the reason it's difficult to use multiple submits because you are not receiving a name=value in addition to the name.x=xx&name.y=yy values? If so, then that browser is broken as well.

...an input type="image" creates a submit button...
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html

...a submit button is successful if clicked...
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#submit-button

...successful form elements have their values submitted paired to their names... http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#successful- controls

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright