> > > That's actually no different to being a student, with the
exception
> > > that the lecturer has got a full time job in addition to having to

> > > learn all the stuff they have to then teach.
>
> > ...and that's no different from having a full-time job as a
developer,
> > and having to research - and learn - all the new stuff.

> But you have to agree it is much easier to stay up-to-date if you work

> in the field every day and actually practically implement new
technologies.

Surely if you have a room full of 15 students, whose task it is to learn
about web development by building website, you have not just one or two
"clients" to try standards out on, but 15. In fact, if each student has
3 projects to do over a year-long course, surely then you have 3 x 15 =
45 different projects?

In which case I would say that the role of a web educator is to act as a
project manager or technical lead - a code shamen, if you will! - to
those students, guiding them into exploring the best way to achieve the
desired result. And that should mean regular trips to W3C, QuirksMode,
CSS Zen Garden etc etc.

Web development - particularly in regard to standards - is an ongoing
conversation, never a fixed set of rules.

Chris