Peter Ottery wrote:
Peter Firminger wrote:

Not at all recommended on any machine you care about.

Just for my own peace of mind tho - they're only a security issue when
you have launched the program right? so if i'm launching them (old
standalone IE5 & 5.5) once a month to *only* test pages that I've
created - I'm not leaving my system open to some rogue security
breaching  action right?

I'm hoping the evolt guys have removed any of the known spyware hooks that were packaged with those browsers (also called "browser helper objects" - see http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/bho/). The problem with running IE on a Windows box is just WTF it does in the registry - I don't believe anyone outside of MS actually knows everything IE gets up to, system-wise.

Also, make sure your firewall is solid and your AV up to date. IE is _built_ to download and install stuff. Run ZoneAlarm or something like it (*not* Windows Firewall that comes with XP - it knows to let IE through) so you can tell if something does start up and try to access the net.

The rule of thumb when installing a new machine is that it only takes 18 minutes online to get infected (takes longer than that to download the patches - catch 22 - see http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec082904.html) - and it may be something as simple as lowering your security level in the background and leaving it there.

I can think of 2 secure ways to use IE/windows to test webpages:

1 run a webserver on a separate box _inside_ your firewall and install your pages there for testing - stack a firewall between the systems if you need to test that.

2 run VirtualPC (or some other windows emulator) on a good fast Mac with lots of RAM (and I'm thinking 1GB and up here) - if you get infected - it's not going to compromise your system and you can easily replace the disk image.

I've worked with both options and never got a virus from testing yet.

Actually, the only virus I can remember getting was a Sasser infection while upgrading my wife's machine to XP (see above)

cheers

mark