Hi Richard,

To play the devil's advocate...

Certainly humanist developers aim to remove the barriers that technology might
place between users and content. However, difficulty arises when determining
what constitutes 'technical' literacy. This could range from 'What's a link'
through to 'How do I increase/decrease text size'. Even many of the 'hooks' put
into content markup to make it more accessible are not used by a screen reader
unless the user customises the behaviour of the software (reading title
attributes for one).

The issue of determining prior (technical) knowledge is one of those bug-bears
like browser statistics. Even though we'd like to, it's problematic to
generalise. On the other hand, adding an introduction to every webpage on how
to use the web is equally untenable.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a formal public-school curriculum that covers
using the web? Such a document/documents might provide an insight as to how we
(as in society-at-large) currently qualify 'technical literacy'.

--
Andy Kirkwood | Creative Director

Motive | web.design.integrity
http://www.motive.co.nz
ph: (04) 3 800 800  fx: (04) 970 9693
mob: 021 369 693
93 Rintoul St, Newtown
PO Box 7150, Wellington South, New Zealand