Hi there,

One reason there is so much debate is the HTML 4.01 spec actually
whimps out of making a call ;) In other words, it doesn't actually say
if skipping a level is wrong; it just says "some people" think it's
wrong.

What the spec DOES say is that the headings are ordered from 1 to 6 in
order of importance, so it does actually imply that they should always
be kept in order.

Personally I think they should always be in order, never jump from 1
to 3 to 2, always go 1-2-3. So as you'd expect I would go with this:

>  <h1>My site title<h1>
>  ...navigation...
>      <h2>My section name</h2>
>         <h3>Latest Articles</h3>
>            <h4>Article 1 Title</h4>
>            <h4>Article 2 Title</h4>

I would actually ask whether the "latest articles" heading is actually
needed - do you separate "latest" from "older" on the same page? If
not, then just remove the "latest articles" heading, since their
presence implies that they are the latest articles (as a general rule,
people do not publish their oldest articles at the top of the page).

If you *do* divide the articles then you need to leave in the
semantically correct latest/old headings to define the sections. It
would be incorrect to bump up the articles' heading level if they are
actually contained within another section.

As a general rule, when in doubt about heading levels I think "how
would this go in XHTML 2.0, using <section> and <h> elements?". It
helps think in terms of sections and levels/groupings of content.

I hope that helps :)

cheers,

Ben Buchanan

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not