Terrence Wood wrote:

Philippe Wittenbergh said:
This makes kind of good argument for *not* styling form inputs at all,
and leave it to the OS. On most of my OS X browsers, disabled form
fields are not really greyed out, but rather use opacity reduction to
indicate read-only.

A quick test of unstyled input type=text on winXP and IE6 reveals there is
*no indication at all* that a field is disabled. Nice one IE6. Oh, I lie
or I'm tired, the outline may have an indiscernable gaussian blur into the
field.

FF is grey, as is Opera.

kind regards
Terrence Wood

Yes, I'd really like to know the usability studies that changed the design of form controls so dramatically when MS designed XP. The buttons I think are fine, but the form fields... I'd just like to know how they were scene as an improvement?

There are both *readonly* and *disabled* attributes in input elements. My main exposure to this was an Intranet application I was working on in 2000, aimed at IE5. Like many things that aren't major issues, I don't think it is well supported. I haven't done a general check on this for ages, to see how well it is supported these days.

Geoff