On 15/11/05 3:20 PM, "Andy Kirkwood, Motive" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> (To pick up on Patrick's point.) Have you come across a scenario on a
> website where  it seems appropriate to use an input element to
> indicate that an option exists but cannot be edited by the user?
>
> Perhaps it's preferable to show such content as text rather than as
> an input? (Seems like an instance of "yes, we have no bananas": yes
> this is an input, but no you can't.)
>
> Best regards,

I actually used read only input fields recently for our online subject
selections. Compulsory subjects were pulled out of a database and displayed
as read only input fields, while other fields were normal <select> elements.

Why not just display the compulsory subjects as plain text? Because then
there is a visual and cognitive dissonance between the two information sets
- they can seem unrelated, especially when you consider that high school
students rarely read a web form's accompanying text, no matter how
important. I think in this case the fact that the information was displayed
with as part of the form avoided that problem, while using the "readonly"
attribute and styling the input text a medium grey took care of the rest.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College