Thanks, Susan, for pointing to that stuff.

Paul, you if you're using Apache you may also find this particularly useful:
"Setting 'charset' information in .htaccess"
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-htaccess-charset

That would allow you to continue using utf-8, which I think is a good move.

Also, you may find the following useful wrt using character references:
"Using character entities and NCRs"
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-escapes

Hope that helps,
RI