I've been asked if there are useful university-focused
textbooks or other resources suitable for teaching
accessible web design.

As Lloyd and Matthew mentioned Joe Clark's "Building Accessible Websites", New Riders Publishing, 2002 is well worth considering.

I have been using it for the web accessibility classes that I teach. The Clark book does not assume the reader understands the basics of web accessibility. I specifically chose it because of that and because it goes beyond simply repeating the "party line" from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) or Section 508. That is one of the purposes of the classes - to not just read the specifications, but actively engage them. Challenge, dissect, understand, and learn what makes the most sense. Also Joe put the whole book online[1] so if students don't want to purchase it for the class they don't have too. However, the soft cover version of the online book has screen shots and images. The online version does not.

The Web Design Reference [2] is a huge online mega-reference (over 3,000 links) of information and articles about web design and development that you might find useful. It has a full section on books [3] as well as online resources (accessibility, CSS, usability, web standards, and many related topics are covered).

You might also find the Web Design Update Newsletter [4] helpful. It is a plain text email digest that typically goes out once a week as an adjunct to the site.

All the Best,
Laura

[1] http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/
[2] http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/webdesign/