Ted Drake wrote:

Hi John

Sites look similar because the early standards-based web developers were so
influential. CSS-based design is different beast than table hacking and
people feel more comfortable riffing off a successful site than learning a
new technique with a design out of their head.

Yes, the ones who had good design aesthetics did. There were a lot of early practitioners of standards back in the late nineties, but they did not have the same design sense to drive this movement. It was only when the better designers came along that there were examples of standards implementation that really showed a path to follow.

Also, I don't think that five years ago you could market tableless designs with any success.

As standards-based design matures, you will see new varieties that table
hacking never dreamed of. Personally, I'm hoping to have some time to begin
exploring CSS3 layouts much more. IE7 isn't that far off in the future and
we can begin using more sophisticated behaviors now with Safari, Opera, and
Firefox.

Yes, I think that standards based designs are going to show marked better usability than those who stick with the old path. I choose to live in the countryside, no broadband, it's a good reminder just how frustrating some sites can be to use on dialup, a frustration rarely experienced with sites properly implementing standards.

Geoff Deering