Additionally to the points already mentioned by others, one very good reason
for coding in standards is to ensure the website will last a long time.

I am sure the organisation you are talking about will not want to create a
new website in a few years time. Show them some of the many websites that
have been created just a few years ago and which now look shocking in new
browsers (e.g. Firefox) because the sites don't adhere to standards. If the
PR company doesn't stick to standards it is likely that new browsers in
future years won't display the site correctly. Which means for the
organisation running the website: spending more money on fixing it. Getting
it right in the first time will save them money and headache in the long
run.

>From what you said about the PR agency it sounds as if they are trying to
push you out of the way to get the job (which of course is understandable
from their point of view). The best point you have against them is that they
are a PR agency, not a web development agency. They might be good in
marketing, but they don't have a clue about development. That already shows
in the few bits of code they have provided.

What about making a suggestion to the non-profit organisation: the PR firm
creates the marketing and the design, but you do the development. The
organisation can insist on that and if the PR company is clever they will
accept that offer.

Hope this helps.