You are absolutely correct Andreas. Bit the same as an Australian Safety Standard, or Certificate of Electrical Compliance and the myriad of other bits of pieces of terminology and standards that we live with every day. But if we don't educate the public, how will they ever learn. The tag soup coders certainly won't tell them!

I certainly don't think it's about designers "stroking" their egos. If it's compliant then tell the world, the visitors but MORE importantly.....tell the client! Make them proud to have the icon on their site.

Regards,

Ric

Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

These icons with "AAA", "W3C", "HTML", "XHTML" on it only confuse most
users. So often in usability tests I have heard users ask me: "What does
this mean"?