I'm no Lawyer but what are the legal ramifications of a user having the wrong year set on the client. If the client's clock were set to 1900 then wouldn't the Copyright notice then be invalid?

That is one of the ramifications of not Using PHP or ASP.

Stephen

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Lachlan,

I'm going to take your much appreciated response one bit at a time.

By doing as you suggested, I lose the point of having used the JS in the first place.

(For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume that having the copyright notices reflect the current year is a desired thing). With the JS all copyright notices are automaticaly updated when the year changes, with your method I would have to go back to each site and manualy change them. This is sort of the contrary to one of the reasons for seperating structure from presentation in the "why CSS is good" argument.

Bob

This one all alone on the page, with no linked JS in the <head>:

<script type="text/javascript">

var d=new Date();

yr=d.getFullYear();

if (yr!=2003)

document.write("&copy; "+yr);

</script>&nbsp;Cedar Tree Books

No script (or entity reference) required.