> Al Sparber
>
> From: "Christian Montoya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Please, no more silly statements like that. This is the Web Standards
> Group. To take it a step further, the html coding can never be table
> based. That's hacking, not coding.

> I hope you are joking.

Al, maybe Christian's wording was a bit brusque, but looking at the facts:

a) the standard clearly states "Tables should not be used purely as a means to
layout document content" http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html - this
makes the use of tables for layout pretty much a practice contrary to the
standard (I have been known to call it a "perversion of the standard", myself)
b) this list is for the Web Standards Group

True, from a pragmatic (as in "need to support older browsers") point of view
table based layouts are sometimes a necessary evil, but from a standards point
of view Christian is right, IMHO.

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk