Now you'll get the no javascript fanatics chiming in.

I have clients who want pages that have a box floating in the horizontal center of the page and the height of the box to vary depending on its content, the simple solution has been one table, it works, no hacks, no javascript, no regrets (unless I'm tossed out of the garden).

From: "Bob Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] CSS Driven?

But CSS is the de-facto preferred way of defining layout of (X)HTML
documents, and using tables for layout is a case of ignoring a particular
item in the HTML spec.

Maybe I'm behind in my CSS religious training, but...

I've found the need to use one table as a base layout because I still cannot get a div to expand in height (no height defined) to incompass its nested content as a table cell does.

This is something I need to have happen once-and-awhile.

Have I missed some change to CSS or are there still height issues with divs?

Until display: table-cell is adopted by IE, the usual means to accomplish what you want is to use "faux columns" or a scripted solution. You can google "faux columns" and view a scripted solution here:

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/pvii_columns/index.htm

Note that there are lots of variations to faux columns, including some over-the-top tricks, which I'm sure others on this list will bring to your attention. Choose your own weapon :-)

Al Sparber
PVII
http://www.projectseven.com

"Designing with CSS is sometimes like barreling down a crumbling mountain road at 90 miles per hour secure in the knowledge that repairs are scheduled for next Tuesday".