Christian,

Do these table layouts go in your portfolio?

Since you asked. I have my very first site in my portfolio and it is a nested table/spacer gif monster. But except for you guys, I doubt if anyone has ever done a "view source" on the site.

Do these clients
recommend you to others as "one of those designers who will still do
those 1998 designs we like so much?"

No, they recommend me because I did a site they liked.
Outside this list, I doubt if anyone thinks in terms of "1998" sites.

I guess the big question is, how
do these designs affect your image as a standards based designer?

The big answer is: they don't. We all started somewhere.
However, if it will help you sleep better: at the first re-do of the site, the nested tables and spacer gifs will go.

My thinking is that if I ever had to do one of these sites, I would
not put it in my portfolio. I would have made it clear to the client
that I was doing it against my own good judgement and I would never
want someone to think it was something I would do again.

Maybe if I hang around you long enough, one day, I too will become arrogant, but I doubt it.

bob