Paul,

Love the idea.

thanks

I don't think it should be a replacement for many things
which are best learnt through hard expereince, but rather a 7 steps to
success guide for building a standards-based website.

things should not be hard simply for the sake of it. We need to distinguish the set of skills and knowledge that professional developers really need as a foundation to the discipline of web development from stuff that just happens to be hard because we haven't worked it out yet.

Sure, you could include best practice code samples, particularly for
off-page techniques etc. But I don't think providing baby steps for every eventuality is the answer. That, in itself, has the potential for creating
lazy beginners.

Its not so much a matter of baby steps as a detailed understanding of the problems we find ourselves solving over and over again, coupled with suggested solutions. In order to use this effectively, developers will still need to have a great deal of understanding of what they are doing in technical and architectural domains. The fact that patterns are widely used in computer science and originated in Architecture suggests that they certainly don't make solving complex problems trivial, rather they help make the process more efficient, and hopefully give rise to better solutions in future

Thanks again,

john

John Allsopp

style master :: css editor :: http://westciv.com/style_master