tee,

on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 at 13:03 wsg@webstandardsgroup.org wrote:

> Hi mysterious "E". Interesting approach! It seems to work and a real
> quick fix.
> I have tested on PC/Mac: Safari, FF, Netscape, Mozilla, iE and Opera.
> Can you guys confirm?
> http://gb.lotusseeds.com/menutest_2.html

This one will work if the a covers 100% of the li's area, otherwise
the li's background could shine through. But for this menu it's real
quick and simple fix.

> Honestly I wasn't too crazy to try out sliding doors or preloader
> scripts method (nonetheless it has to be done so that I can get over
> with the whole annoying moment  before stepping into a fresh new
> year  :) ), had wasted some 4 hours trying out one of the Stu
> Nicholls' method (http://www.webreference.com/programming/
> css_flicker/) and it broke quite badly in IE andI didn't feel like
> fixing yet another IE bug.

It should work in IE >= 5.0. If you define other pseudo-classes, you
have to put them in the correct order in your stylesheet:

:link
:visited
:focus
:hover
:active

Or one will override the others. This might be your problem.

Another thing. You use:

#siteOption li a span {
        display: none;
}

This way, the text inside the span is hidden from screen readers. See:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility

It would be better to position the span off left:
#siteOption li a span {
        position: absolute;
        left: -1000px;
        font-size: 1px;
}

Like that it will be invisible for css-browsers, but visible for
screen readers.

regards

  Martin