G'day

I had a feeling someone was going to reply with that suggestion, and you're right :) The whole test case I setup was merely to display the point that the hr element was no cooperating with the negative margins. I'm hoping more specifically for an explanation on why that is, not on how to get the desired effect.

Ah, OK.

Well, can't help you on the first question - maybe Microsoft can.

But the question about h1 is easy. You use relative padding (0.8em) - relative to the text size of the element it is applied to. So the margins on the h1 are calculated by the (larger) text size of the h1, not its parent's text size.

Hope that makes sense - it does to me :-)

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/