Hello Karl,

Interesting series of articles.  For this one, there's quite a lot to be said,
and fitting it all in in a way the novice can understand in progressive steps
it is a bit of a challenge.

Just a few thoughts

[1] "For text/html it is best to define the character encoding in the HTTP
header rather than hard code <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> into your pages or templates."

I think the question of character encoding declarations is skimped a little.
At the W3C we looked at best practises for character encoding declarations.
You can find our conclusions at
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/en/all.html#Slide0240

Note that HTTP isn't always the best way to go.  There are pros and cons,
depending on the usage and the developer.

[2] The main thrust of this article seems to be how to use application/text+xml
to allow for forward compatability.  I wondered whether it might be better to
split the article into more general introductions to content negotiation, xml
declaration, etc.  then discuss use of application/xml+xhtml, and in another
article bring everything together with an example PHP application. Just an idea.

[3] "The XML Declaration is required for character sets other than UTF-8 and
UTF-16"

s/character sets/character encodings/

For example, utf-8 and utf-16 are both exactly the same character set, though
different encodings (see
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/en/slides/Slide0060.html
 )

[4] "You will need to ensure that all other character references are numeric in
nature."

It would be good to explain the reason you say this.

hth
RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead