Peter Asquith wrote:

Geoff Deering wrote:

Do others feel there are *elements* of presentation creeping back into the structure?

Absolutely, <header> and <footer> elements, to my mind, break the semantics of separating the presentation from content. Once you say "this element represents the footer for the section it applies to" surely you're suggesting the physical layout of the presentation?

The idea of <aside> has more merit since it describes the "weight" of the content with respect to the rest of the page but doesn't suggest placement on the page. And I agree that the idea of a <nav> tag seems sound assuming you agree that navigation is inherent to the content.

It looks like the draft has been prepared with a standard page layout strongly in mind (see: http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#sectioning) and that may not lend itself well to media that we may not yet have invented to display/experience the content.

Cheers
Peter

The logical extension of your argument is that we should never use h1..h6 either! Isn't it?

Bob McClelland
www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk