Hi Kat, I'll paraphrase while attempting to answer....

> abbreviation for number?
<abbr title="number">no.</abbr>

> When is two tables better than one?
When you have a logical grouping that shares some attributes, but the data
makes sense when presented as a stand-alone table.

> When is it better to split up the data?
When you have an 'excessive' number of rows or columns.

> Is two columns with the same name bad table structure?
Possibly, but there must be some feature of each of the columns that makes
them distinct from each other. If so, include the distinguishing feature
as part of the column heading.

> Should I split a table on units?
Not neccessarily, just insure that the unit forms part of the column label.

> Are colgroups only for presentation?
<colgroup> is structural, <col> is presentational. Using them demarcates
data.
> Are there ids, headers or something involved?
Not for <colgroups>
> How is it done? Is there some sort of way that someone using the
> accessibility features can choose one or other colgroup?
Add the <colgroup> element to the top of your table after the caption and
before any row groups.

> In what order do headers go on table cell data?  Does this matter?
I don't understand the question.

> Can you omit the caption if the table is the only thing on the page?
You really should have a caption. It gets read as part of the table,
whereas the heading doesn't.

> If you have a table-header that spans two rows - is it seen as the
> table header for both rows?
I read somewhere that you shouldn't span rows, but I can't find the source.

Anyone?

Oh, here is one source but it's not the one I am thinking of
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/tables/2 (see 2.7 Avoid spanning rows).
There is also an argument around about how it becomes more confusing when
a table is linearized. I say avoid rowspan if at all possible.

> scope, or id and headers?
Scope should suffice on simple tables (two or less heading levels, small
number of cols and/or rows), complex tables need headers and ids to work
well for the widest number of screen readers.

HTH

kind regards
Terrence Wood.