Ian Anderson:

I think this would be immensely bad design for screen reader users. This is a site map. What you may be missing is that too many links are the bane of a screen reader user's life. They rely on using links as a kind of binary tree to navigate the site - the last thing they benefit from is hearing links again that they have already discarded as not of interest. They go back much more than sighted users in order to find a link they heard before.

The other interesting thing is that screen reader users build a mental map of a site that is nothing like the real architecture, based on the links they hear. If every link is on every page, all pages sound the same to them, because about half of a user's time on each page is spent listing the links. When the links on each page are mostly unique, screen reader users perform better in tasks.

This is great, I'd really like to send this as a reply every time someone asks about dropdown menus ;-)

The lack of uniqueness in link labels and too much navigation (e.g. the site map on every page) affects all users not just screen reader users.

I recently completed user testing for a navigation system with 165+ links in it. Most tasks were eventually completed though not without error(s). We observed a lot of backtracking, confusion over similar (i.e not unique enough) labels and false positives (where users were confident the task was complete but they were not in the prescribed location). Most users requested additional contextual information (e.g. tooltips, or deks). So indications are, IMO (based on this, and my recent reading of Spool on global navigation) that less global navigation, and more contextual navigation is generally better for content rich sites.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.