On Mar 19, 2006, at 6:35 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Test site:  www.designbyatfb.com/designs/golfintro.html
The background-image in the
}
#containerDiv{
position: relative;
top: 0px;
width: 800px;
margin-top: auto;
height: 100%;
color: rgb(128, 128, 128);
overflow: visible;
background: transparent url(css-images/swing.gif) no-repeat ;
background-position: bottom;
}
disappears when the page is resized in Fire Fox v 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12. It does not even appear at all in Opera 8.02 If page is opended at 800x600 it is fine. If it is opened at 1024x768 or higher, it is fine. If you resize after the initial view it disappears until your refresh. I have tried different Doc types, and encodings, nothing makes any difference.

it simply never appears on my side (Firefox 1.5, Camino 1.0, Safari 2.03, Opera 9 TP2). And that is correct. Your #containerDiv is pretty much empty, because it mainly contains two floated blocks, which by definition are taken out of the flow.
That #containerDiv collapses in height, and hence can't show your image.
And no, your 'height:100%' won't do anything, as it is impossible to calculate that height, given that no height has been specified on any parent.

It happens to wrok in IE windoze, because declaring a height in that browser gives the element 'layout' [2], and contains the floated blocks.

#containerDiv {display:table}
will fix your problem, by establishing a new block formatting context [1], which will contain your floated blocks.

[1] <http://dev.l-c-n.com/IEW/simulations.php>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting>

[2] <http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html>

Philippe