Sydney-based Usability company PTG has made the claim that they can certify
the usability of their websites:

http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article3005.asp

In an article on the AIMIA website, Craig Errey, manager of PTG, says "we're
apparently the first group, worldwide, who can confidently state whether a
product is usable or not, and stand by that claim."
http://www.aimia.com.au/i-cms?page=1755

To me that all sounds very dodgy. Nobody can guarantee the usability of
their website.

I mean, alright, let's define "Usability". If PTG are talking about the
ability of a user to open the homepage of the website, read the content and
click onto one of the sub-sections, fair enough, it's probably safe to say
that their sites are "usable". But then again, even my mum would be able to
create a website that is "usable" with the help of Microsoft Frontpage.

"User-friendly", that's something different. And in my opinion nobody can
guarantee the user-friendlyness of a website to all users in the world.

Any thoughts?

Andreas Boehmer
User Experience Consultant

Addictive Media
Phone: (03) 9386 8907
Mobile: (0411) 097 038
http://www.addictivemedia.com.au
Consulting | Accessibility | Usability | Development