Perhaps a logical definition of "tabular data" is "data whose meaning is
defined by its position in a set of rows and columns"?

[only makes sense in monospaced font]

       | BEST ACTOR             | BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR |
------------------------------------------------------- |
| 2007 | Forest Whitaker        | Alan Arkin            |
------------------------------------------------------- |
| 2006 | Philip Seymour Hoffman | George Clooney        |

In order to answer the question "who got Best Supporting Actor in 2006?"
you have to use the table's rows and columns to locate the answer by its
coordinates, so to speak.

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments