If I may add one other point that hasn't been touched on yet (that I'm aware
of)...

IMHO, if the elimination of either the table Column coordinate or Row
coordinate takes place, it will break the semantic nature of the table
element. If you continue to use the table element with one coordinate and its
corresponding data entries, the table element is then only being used for
presentational purposes, thus the need for an appropriate semantic method,
i.e. a definition list or other.

I also use table attributes, especially to enhance assistive device
identification and transfer of cognitive data from the table structure to the
user.

Kind regards,

Frank M. Palinkas
Microsoft M.V.P. - Windows Help
M.C.P., M.C.T., M.C.S.E., M.C.D.B.A., A+
Senior Technical Communicator
Web Standards & Accessibility Designer
website: http://frank.helpware.net
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member:
Society for Technical Communications (S.T.C.)
Guild of Accessible Web Designers (G.A.W.D.S.)
Web Standards Group (W.S.G.)
super group trading ltd.
Sandhurst, Gauteng, South Africa
website: http://www.supergroup.co.za