John Horner wrote:

I'm looking at a design involving image thumbnails and the instruction
to "click images for larger version" -- I have the idea that saying
"click" is wrong, or rather the assumption that everyone is using a
mouse is wrong.

So, how would you word this instruction, or otherwise inform users that
a small image links to a larger one?

"Images are linked to larger versions" seems to passive-voice to me, and
I can't think of any generic term for using a link.

I racked my brain over this one, too (I build a lot of image galleries), and finally settled on 'Select an image to enlarge'.

Long translation: 'Use whatever navigation method your browsing device employs to select an image thumbnail and hit enter to see an enlarged version.'

Works for me.