Specific to your situation, I question whether an article's date or
its supplementary text is really best characterized as being "less
important" than the article itself.  That doesn't strike me as a
useful semantic distinction.  In the absence of markup elements
<date> and <supplement>, you may be left without a semantically
direct way of specifying your auxiliary content in today's
HTML.  Personally I don't think <small> fits the bill.

My example of article date or supplementary information at the end of
an article was just one which I had to think of on the spot. Perhaps
citations, footnotes, references, etc. make better examples of the
type of thing I'm thinking of.

The use of <small> has been something I've had in the back of my mind
for a while and there are a number of situations where I feel some
information should possibly be marked up as supplementary information
that is in support of, but not directly part of, an article.

--
Australian Web Designer - http://www.blakehaswell.com/