How are you producing the select and option html? If you are producing
these on a webserver via a scripting language, its probably best to do
the grouping there. Use the Optgroup tag (which I believe is fairly
well supported) to group the list of common countries together with a
nice label.

Not entirely sure what question you are actually asking here? What do
you mean by usability scenarios?

Karl