I *want* to like Drupal. I really do.

same here

When it's working, it's a beautiful thing. But I've recently had a lot
of trouble installing the recent version. So much trouble that I gave up
on it :(

I gave up because it was too slow on a high-traffic site on a busy shared server where the bottleneck is the mysql queue. .. way too many mysql statements run to do anything... and using mysql for caching is a very bad idea - slows it down even more.

drupal is not unique there ... almost every off-the-shelf cms I've looked at has the same problem.

I'm hoping the new version is better but haven't tried it yet.