Paul Novitski wrote:

I think the problem with using <strong> to demarcate your introduction isn't that <strong> is presentational (it's not) but rather that it does nothing to express what's different semantically about an introduction. You may wish to present the introductory paragraph in a "stronger font" than the body of the article, but that's of course a matter of presentation and doesn't belong in the markup. The introductory text itself isn't <strong>stronger</strong> than the article body, is it? It's just the introduction.

Since HTML doesn't contain an element that expresses the introductory nature of a text block, I second the motion to use <p class="introduction">. It correctly marks up the introductory paragraph(s) as paragraphs, identifies them for styling purposes, and indicates to anyone or anything peering under the hood at the HTML what's different about this part of the article.

If any more explicit demarcation is felt necessary, I suggest using a subhead <hn>Introduction</hn> to indicate the nature of the block to follow.

Regards,

Paul

Presumably, <p title="introduction"> and <p id="introduction"> would do the trick also? My own preference would be for the latter. Of course, if you are referring to a GROUP of paragraphs constituting the introduction, then Paul's class would have to be used.

--
Bob

www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk