Felix Miata wrote:

Because no designer knows the real world starting point outside his local
world, any deviation from 100% is inherently arbitrary.

OTOH, the "100% Easy-2-Read Standard" is a standard worthy of embracing to
the fullest. http://www.informationarchitects.jp/100e2r?v=4

Though I agree with the sentiment, the fact remains that the large majority of websites out there do size text below 100% (and yes, more often than not around the 75%ish mark). If a user perceives that size to be a problem, she more likely than not has bumped up the default text size of the browser to compensate for her daily browsing activity. Going to 100% could then, potentially, go the opposite way and make the text too big for her. Couple that with a client's habit of comparing the site they're commissioning with the majority of other sites out there (and the resultant moaning of "why is the text on our site bigger than on competitor X's site?")...

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/