Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on best practice methods of embedding a
QT/Flash movie in a page in a standards compliant way, so any ideas
would be very gratefully received!

At the moment my page embeds a video using the standards compliant
method for QT videos as described by Elizabeth Castro in her A List
Apart article "Bye Bye Embed":

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/byebyeembed

I then use some unobstrusive javascript to add a show/hide control and
to hide the video on load. This means that non-Javascript-enabled
browsers will simply get the video without the show / hide controls.

This is all fine until you try it in a browser without Quicktime (we
may opt for Flash in the end, but the principles I guess will be the
same). Then, in IE you get the rather unhelpful "Security warning" /
install software message (well at least that's what you get on the IE6
install running on my virtual PC). Obviously this is not so bad in
Firefox where you get the "Install missing plugins message".

Using a detection script would probably by-pass these issues, but that
would then not be in the spirit of progressive enhancement I'm going
for.

I'd be interested to know how others have approached this kind of
issue. As usual I may be missing something blindingly obvious -- this
is one of the areas in which my experience is a little limited!

Many thanks,
David
--
David Little