Rahul Gonsalves wrote:

'An abstract painting by Jackson Pollock, done on a 8 x 4 feet sheet of fiberboard, with thick amounts of brown and yellow paint drizzled on top of it, forming a nest-like appearance.'

Interesting -- I'd have never used the term "nest" in relation to
that piece. And given that "nest" can be an emotionally evocative
term itself, a good illustration of the problem. :-)

So, while it _may or may not_ 'evoke an emotional response, I'd argue that there is some amount of 'data', that we can convey, even to/for users with visual disabilities - and exempting that data on an arbitrary assumption seems...premature.

I'm not saying we shouldn't provide /some/ "data", I'm saying that
some people are trivializing the difficulty of creating *useful* and
*relevant* alt text for complex images, especially those intended to
convey *emotion* rather than simply "information".

And that adds nothing to the conversation.

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                           dream.  code.