On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 01:15:18 pm Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:
> ... to providing the ability to enter the store. Should every store
> in the world be forced to provide a ramp for wheelchair access? No.

Sorry, but this is wrong. This is the exact reason for disability legislation,
every store should have wheelchair access.

It may be difficult and incur a cost but in our democratic countries we elect
politicians to make sure that people with disabilities have access to
infrastructure, public and private commercial places.

Some people have mentioned converting books into Braille and audio formats as
too difficult. This is wrong and there are specific exemptions in copyright
legislation that permit this, without the publishers' express permission.

As one other repondant noted, the Internet has opened up a whole new world to
people with disabilities, not just people with visual impairments. The
delivery method makes the Internet much more accessible and the protocols
used for delivery allow for the delivery of content without discrimination.

Someone asked for a car analogy, so to me it is like anti-pollution
legislation. Does it cost more to reduce harmful emissions from cars? Yes.
Can a car manufacturer ignore this legislation because "it costs more"? No.
Anti-discrimination legislation is the same, it is about protecting sections
of our community from being excluded because "it costs more".

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions