From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Paul Minty
Sent: Tuesday, 16 October, 2007 8:53 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] introducing a prompt to download or open a pdf

> Sent: Tuesday, 16 October 2007 4:16 PM
> To: web standards group
> Subject: [WSG] introducing a prompt to download or open a pdf
>
> i know that this has come up before, but would someone point me to
best practices to introduce a > > > prompt to open or download a pdf or
any file for that matter?

> dwain

Dwain,

Funnily enough I'm working on a design pattern for this, as it doesn't
seem to be documented very well in the usual design pattern collections.

I'd recommend displaying with a PDF icon, the text 'PDF' and a file size
(in Kb or Mb). I suggest setting the target to a new window, then the
user can righ click to save.

If you want to go further, I'd suggest having two links labelled 'open'
and 'save'. You could put in a pop-up with the option; but I think that
this would break the expected behaviour more. You could also detect the
connection speed and suggest a download time; but this may not give you
much ROI.

It's always good to have an HTML version of the content; but you've
probably already thought of that.

I'd be keen to know other people's thoughts; especially if you know of
any design patterns for this.

Cheers
Paul

Paul Minty Director

mintleaf studio
We design & create stylish websites

Post: Box 6 108 Flinders Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Level 2 108 Flinders Street Melbourne
T. 03 9662 9344
F. 03 9662 9255
M. 0418 307 475