Sheesh, I could have sworn I was fiddling around with Opera and opacity the
other day and it wasn't working, there goes my opacity credibility.

I ran a few test on 9.5b and 9.24 (windows and linux) and they both do the
opacity rules. It's only Konquerer that doesn't do it. Maybe that's where I
was being confused.

I still find it a bit odd that setting opacity on an outer box affects the
opacity on the inner box. For instance when you have nested white boxes each
with an opacity of 0.5 over a black background they both end up having 50%
black backgrounds (~ #7f7f7f). If they are positioned absolutely over each
other the the opacity works as expected, the top most one having the
expected "background colour" of #bfbfbf.

Cheers
James