It won't work in any other browser I know of as well. See this demo case:
http://dusan.fora.si/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/tags.html
(explained at http://dusan.fora.si/blog/self-closing-tags )

Of course I don't suggest using an empty div tag with no id. It was just an example. But, semantically, even empty tags with ids are bad practice, are they not?

I believe quite some time will pass before we get real xml support in most browsers.
It's a shame...