I would assume any professional developer will test any application they currently support with IE 8 when it comes out. I'm sure I will get a lot of business from new clients who need their sites updated to support whatever changes MSFT makes.

Lets face it how many older sites need to be updated because elements that used to work in HTML are being depreciated in new XHTML browsers. Eventually at some point I expect those depreciated elements to stop being supported by future version x of browsers. How many of us have developed websites with tables in the past that "should" be redeveloped using div and css?
Michael Horowitz
Your Computer Consultant
http://yourcomputerconsultant.com
561-394-9079

Christian Snodgrass wrote:
Chris Knowles wrote:
Christian Snodgrass wrote:

The biggest problem is the fact that if they don't have it be the "opt-in" option, that any older sites that used all of the hacks that made it work in IE6 and IE7 won't work in IE8. That probably includes even a lot of your own sites. Beyond that (since they could just make it ignore those types of hacks which wouldn't be difficult), is pages even older, and especially those web-based applications that relied on those hacks.

It's the lesser of two evils, but it's still a huge pain.

If you have a web-based application that will break in IE8, then whats so wrong with adding an HTTP header or a meta tag to say 'use IE7' ?

What's so wrong with adding a tag that says "use IE8"?

Plus, not everyone will know this. I doubt that when you open up IE8 there will be this popup that says "Hello, if you are a web developer, please add a meta tag to any existing documents that you have created that rely on the rendering prior to IE8, because they will now fail." Existing software is more difficult to update then to slightly modify the way you create new software.