Designer wrote:
Maybe, but coding in xhtml1.1 makes you MUCH more fussy about syntax
 etc. and it shows up any 'well formed' errors as soon as you browse.
So, whilst the user will know nothing about all this, it makes you as
a designer get lots of practice in using the stricter syntax, ready
for some day in the future when you will need it.

Maybe :-)

Yes, Maybe :-)

I don't know if this is a stable feature, but when I write documents in
XHTML 1.0 (intended to be served as 'text/html'), Opera 9.5 beta (build
9694) treats it as 'text/xml' off-line and refuses to render it if it
isn't well-formed and up to standard. Same document is treated as
'text/html' on-line - as intended.

Opera's behavior gives me immediate feedback during the design-phase
without having to bother with MIME type switching. No such on/off-line
MIME type switching in available versions of other browsers AFAIK.

regards

        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no