Hi

That's a common enough response when dealing with standards based
implementations from companies that either:
* do know and don't care
* don't know and are scared/worried
* do know, do care but don't have the resources
* do know but implementation would have internal political implications
(I've experienced this a few times)

It's a common enough path, to paraphrase some other quotes I've seen around:
1. I don't want or need to know
2. What's this ?
3. Could be useful...
4. Let's implement it..
5. Wow, that was easy.
6. Advocate...

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about responses like that -
especially given the two code examples are easily eliminated or placed
elsewhere to be non obstrusive. Anyone who uses border="0" then complains
that it is too difficult to change is either too lazy or shouldn't be doing
web development, or both.

As for W3C standards not being widely implemented and other generalisations
- bit of a throwaway line to get you to go away.