Rick Lecoat wrote:

I recall reading somewhere that 'accesskey' is often considered more hindrance than benefit because there are no standardised keys for specific functions and it inevitably ends up conflicting with regular browser shortcuts that keyboard users or screenreader users are likely to wish to utilise.

thats my understanding too. Firstly, you have to communicate to the user what the access keys are for which there are no clear guidelines I know of, and secondly, whats to say your choice of keys doesn't conflict with existing ones the user has set?

The only way i see access keys becoming useful is if user agent vendors agree on and implement some kind of name-spacing scheme for author defined keys to prevent conflicts

--
Chris Knowles