Hmm...

Wouldn't it be much easier to wrap the site in a wrapper, use a full with
header div (instead of the tabel you're using now) and then float a
navigation div and a content div  underneath them?

        <!-- your header stuff goes here -->
    <!-- header --></div>
        <!-- your nav stuff goes here -->
    <!-- navigation --></div>
        <!-- your content goes here -->
    <!-- content --></div>
        <!-- your footer goes here -->
    <!-- footer --></div>
<!-- wrapper --></div>

CSS:

div#wrapper { width: 780px;}

div#header {width: 780px;}

div#navigation {width: 192px; float: left;}

div#content {width: 588px; float: left;}

div#footer {width: 780px; clear both;}

When that's done, you can just stick the background image to your #content
div.

Hope this helps.

Matijs