Sorry, I didn't mean "if I had FF3 running" - I had it *installed* but
not running.
And maybe I could have made it work, but I was under time pressure. I
just installed FF2 through Ubuntu's standard "apt" system, and I'd
hoped that it would be configured to install it completely
independently.

When I have more time I'll try again - but running a beta browser,
with an alpha of FireBug, I wasn't really very surprised to have
stability issues.  Maybe I should have been.

As for vmware - I guess I'm used to it, I already use vmware to test
different versions of ie, so adding Firefox to one of them isn't a
biggie.

- Korny

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2008/05/20 18:27 (GMT+1000) Korny Sietsma apparently typed:
>
>> I have had problems running FF2 on a machine also running FF3 -
>> specifically, and fatally for me, FireBug wouldn't install cleanly in
>> FF2 if I had FF3 running.
>
> Did you ever think to try closing the other long enough to get it to install?
> Have you been trying to use the same profile for multiple versions? Have you
> tried virgin profiles? Visit irc://moznet/#firefox or
> irc://moznet/#mozillazine or irc://moznet/#seamonkey and people who know what
> it takes will help you get it going.
>
>> I'd load FF3 in a vmware image, or maybe test it with an Ubuntu 8.04 live CD.
>
> Absolutely unnecessary gross overkill.
>
>> Release Candidate 1 is out now, so hopefully things will get more
>> stable when Ubuntu picks it up, but at the moment it's a world of pain
>> - at least for my configuration!
>
> I've been running various flavors of alpha & beta Gecko products simultaneous
> with release versions of same cross-platform (Linux, OS/2 & Win; adding OS X
> recently) for over 7 years. If you can't get it to work routinely, you're not
> correctly following directions, or have a general system problem. Using
> multiple versions does require the MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 environment variable, or
> equivalent command line option, plus multiple profiles.
>
> Realize that SeaMonkey and Firefox are just different faces on the same
> rendering engine, so you can take the easy way out and just run the devel
> version of one and the release version of the other if following the multiple
> version instructions is somehow not doable for you.
> --
> ". . . . in everything, do to others what you would
> have them do to you . . . ."       Matthew 7:12 NIV
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kornelis Sietsma korny at my surname dot com
kornys at gmail dot com on google chat -- kornys on skype
"we do what we must, because we can"